"We must become the change we want to see in the world."
You already know what the world's problems are. You face them everyday.
Some of the ones that have the biggest impact are:
- Degradation of the biosphere
- Malaise of the economic system
- Decline in human health
- Growth of global poverty and inequality
What we have come to discover is that none of these issues are insular, they are in fact all interconnected. So, in order to fix these problems we must treat them holistically. We must outgrow the low image of the human being and the ruling idea of a meaningless, material world that is the dominant paradigm of industrial, collapsing societies. All of us can adapt the key points of the emerging “new story” (it has actually been around from time immemorial) for our own use, and share them wherever we can to explain where we are heading.
We believe in living life well and making better choices.
That means avoiding choices that lead to negative impacts that are harmful to ourselves and our environment. Instead, we seek out sustainable methods for living and integrate them in our model for social change. Society is transforming and maturing, moving towards an era of more collaboration, connection, and contribution. Together our aim is to perpetuate and expand a society based on these values.
This website is about starting on a local scale, but acting with the intention of global change
to bridge the gap between our present times and a Global Egalitarian System. (Some examples of similar concepts or ideas are Economic Singularity, Resource Based Economy (RBE), Gifting Economy, and Ubuntu). An egalitarian society operates by meeting human needs as the first social priority, and transcends assorted social and civil as well as economic problems by lucidly grasping the difference between NEEDS and Wants. This is a scientific approach, rooted in the modern Pyramid of Needs, which builds on the work of Abraham Maslow, and Behavioral Psychology. The end result being worldwide shared assets and an intelligent infrastructure that serves and supports humanity who in turn become the caretakers of the Earth.
The aim of The Transition as a movement is to galvanize people into taking action, whether on a large or a small scale, with the goal of creating communities that model a local economy rooted in place, in well-being, in entrepreneurship, and in creativity.
We can end scarcity, injustice & inequality by buying existing affordable properties or unifying pre-existing assets and businesses as well as create various new cottage industries. Contributors will work without pay in these businesses (restaurants, markets etc.) and in return will receive a place to live where all utilities, food & transportation are paid for by the profits of the businesses and cottage industries. This is similar to Ubuntu's One Small Town proposal found in the video below, but it is much more developed and researched in the ways that are most effective in creating a fruitful outcome.
We plan to implement this philosophy of abundance, sharing, and cooperation
in which all goods and services are available to all community members without the use of money, "credits," barter or any other system of debt or servitude, into a reality for all to experience by having our Contributors following Our Plan.
To find out more please check out the following pages:
Sources: Metta Center: What is a Road-map
Contributors: Metta Center
Recommended Reading: Metta Center: What is a Road-map
"A human being is a part of the whole, called by us "Universe", a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest, a- kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us."
~ Albert Einstein
This community believes we ARE our brother's and sister's keepers and that when we serve others by focusing on the common good for all we are actually serving our own self-interest as well. Contributors simply have access to more resources and connections because they are the ones who have stood up and said "I will take accountability for making the change I wish to see in the world". They aren't afraid to break a sweat, get dirty, and meet new people.
Our gifts to you for being a Contributor:
- A monthly subscription to The Transition's online (and offline) community.
- Tutorials on all sorts of topics from basic things like how to use online communication tools, building alternative housing structures, to more complex concepts like non-violent conflict resolution.
- Get your projects funded with our matching funding program called The Cooking Pot.
- FREE consulting and one-on-one time with The Transition Team members (via phone, video chat, or if you live near any of us live and in person!- to help you through any of the programs on the site or with any general questions you might have.
- Invitation to all of our The Transition Events.
- Access to our locked portion of the site known as Imagi-NATION CO-OPeration.
- Access to our Community Brain which is our Contributor submitted expertise and proven concepts portion of the site. Learn from your peers about everything you ever wanted to know covering topics like: Shelter, Food, Water, Energy, Transportation, Health & Wellness
- Be part of the Freeconomy with other Contributors who share their spaces, skills, and objects for free.
- Discover places where you can get FREE FOOD in your area.
- Access to our Jukebox jam packed with music to keep you inspired and motivated as we make it through the transition.
- Access to our Classifieds section where you can seek Community, Friendship, Romantic relationships, Jobs, Internships, and Business Opportunities related to The Transition.
We believe people are beginning to realize the possibility of living a life that is more fulfilling. We think that deep within many of us there is an awakening and a desire to be a part of something that celebrates, shares, and multiplies all of our human potential. We are creating this as a place where each day is an expression of the creative human spirit and a living demonstration that lives can be more fulfilled and enriched, have purpose, and experience meaningful interaction. What we are developing here IS what life is about, and how wonderfully it can be lived in harmony and cooperation, rather than competition. Our work will inspire generations of teacher/demonstration communities, villages, and cities globally collaborating, creating, and advancing the entire human organism.
Obviously, the money that Contributors contribute to The Transition is in the nature of a gift, an investment in a worthy idea that is even now finding concrete expression in the lives of thousands of people all over the world. The point of your gift is to help the Transition Inter-Community Network, to encourage the inter-connectedness of us all, to help the seeds we plant here to sprout and grow as a source of inspiration to people who are trying hard, as well as a source of practical information and general help. Your paid monthly Contributorship is a vote of confidence in the work we are doing here creating a more cohesive movement that works towards a friction-less society where individuals are properly socialized to function with others as a unit. By participating as a paid Contributor, you are pooling funds with other like-minded individuals to maintain this site as well as provide much needed funds to intentional communities and co-ops all over the world. Your Contributorship lets you interact with our other paid Contributors in a much closer fashion where you are able to learn, grow, and inspire each other. Contributors also receive copies of our periodic newsletters, invitations to our meetings and events, and special discounts on our products and services. The political and economic institutions that we seek to change are powerful. We need all the strong clear-eyed allies we can get. That is why we undertake to build this kind of virtual community that helps us gain power ourselves. Together as a global family we will craft the human story by being Social Pioneers who help pave the way for a brighter tomorrow! Won't you join us?
BECOME A CONTRIBUTOR TODAY, BECAUSE WE CAN'T DO IT WITHOUT YOU!
"I will send [The Transition] a regular contribution of $5 a month... I am ready to let go of my scarcity driven mentality...I have held on to my victim story about how I am poor for so long, and finally realized that my investments are what is causing my poverty. Sure it is also the system, there's no denying that we are systematically oppressed. However, I definitely recognize now that in order for me to become financially empowered, I have to be conscious on how I spend every single penny. If I had more money I'd support my friends, therefore I want to start somewhere, and build up to support others more and more...Anyway, no matter what it takes, I will include [The Transition] in my monthly budget, and incrementally increase the amount each time:)"
After reading this, please endorse below as The Transition sees YOU as one of our many beneficiaries.
Intent: We unite and empower people to take positive action towards enhancing and protecting all life and our environment for future generations.
Purpose: Our purpose is to construct real solutions by providing the support, space, and resources for the common heritage of the Earth's resources and to do so via our collective knowledge. We are committed to building community projects that promote organic farming, alternative transportation, clean drinking water, renewable energy, green building, and using music and the arts to convey the message.
With a special focus on street-involved youth and families living in poverty, we encourage community involvement through collaborative volunteerism, education, programs and media events. We help others enhance their food and housing security, learn life skills, and build confidence to make the transition to a more sustainable lifestyle - leading to a Global Egalitarian System for the good of all.
We strive to create an inclusive community where all members have the skills, confidence, and support to live a healthy life. It is our pledge to each other and to the world we are creating, to help each other live life to the fullest.
Our method of collaboration within our Transition Inter-Community Network is based on scientific benchmarks to meet everyone's’ needs - instead of what’s most profitable - therefore exchange between members requires no monetary attachment.
- Documentaries & Films
- Funding for expansion
- Intentional Communities
- Community of like-minded members
- How-tos and demonstrations
- Events and media programs
- Contributor Business Promotion
- BUD Weekly meetings.
- Formal Consensus as described in On Conflict & Consensus, & Consensus for Cities.
- Self assignment of tasks during scheduled meetings.
- Scientific Method (Plan, Do, Study, Act)
- If a problem is brought to light, a possible solution is then brought to the table, or an adjustment to a pre-existing process or structure is suggested.
- We use the wisdom of the crowd via polls, 1 on 1 anecdotal interviews pooled together and reviewed for trends, as well as various types of crowdsourcing.
Responsibilities of Trustees:
- Be a beacon of example
- To serve the Contributors
- Adhere to Team Commitments
- Maintain website
- Be a source of support for fellow members
- Provide outreach to other intentional communities, co-ops, organizations, and other similar movements.
- Align values and behaviors with The Transition Benchmarks
- Do continual personal education
- Develop systems and procedures
- Maintain Communal mindset towards Egalitarian lifestyle
- Understand that all work created for and done on behalf of The Transition remain with The Transition, even if one leaves the BUD and is no longer able to fulfill the role or obligations of a Trustee.
Grantors: Mike Upstone & Nicole Bienfang
Beneficiaries: I hereby agree to the following statement:
I will participate in the positive, inclusive decision-making structure of The Transition and abide by the decisions made in my Contributorship to The Transition. I bring my integrity and commitment to the ideals of trust, respect, self-empowerment, cooperation, equal access to power, and non-violence. I am committed to the vision of diverse membership of The Transition and the site is considered a “Safe Zone". I hereby agree to treat everyone equal of value with differing gifts and Contribute for the good of all. I will attempt to minimize barriers to Contributors of any groups wishing to participate.
(Please endorse below if you agree to abide by this Trust and all statements made herein. Use of this site is considered an implied agreement to this Trust even if your name is absent from the “signatures” below.)
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
~ Dr. SeussEndorse
Please DO NOT friend request any of the people mentioned in this report without first introducing yourself and having a genuine reason for doing so (not simply collecting friends). The names and links to profiles are provided for reference only.
Old notebook used from last year's conference (Reduce, reuse, recycle ;) ) to take notes from workshops, open sessions and one-on-one talks
One-on-one talks with:
*Paxus- Details about every day Twin Oaks things as well as crews and manager positions
*Keenen- Pluses and minuses of community and how it could be more child friendly
*Shaul- how new generations evolve the original vision and culture of community
*Valarie- Selecting new members and the membership process
* James- Creating a movement through grassroot efforts and utilizing the power of the "mob"
Neon index cards (left over from last year) to give fellow attendees The Transition contact info
White index cards (left over from last year) to get contact info from attendees
7 Paper folders with brads purchased to have 1st 4 Phases of "Our Plan" printed out and available for Open Session viewing
- Markers and large drawing paper purchased for small group demonstration for Open Session (ended up not using and donated items to Twin Oaks for Heroes program when I left)
- Made Power Point Presentation in Anticipation of Open Session
Read book The Charge (which can help with understanding our supporters and igniting their passions to help us propel this organization and movement further)
Picked up 30 cases of unripe avocados and one case of pineapples with Paxus (https://www.facebook.com/paxus?fref=ts) from local food pantry because of a store donation that exceeded need of the local area
Helped Rayenbo (https://www.facebook.com/raychel.bone?fref=ts) gather info to assemble FIC brochures at Acorn in new seed office (building was not completed last year)
Helped with Eggplant and tomato processing as well as make tomato sauce at Acorn for future meals with Amy (https://www.facebook.com/amy.hamburger.73)
Saw first hand how work shifts were divvied out to members and how work was accomplished as a community ( I was on MOOP detail MOOP= Matters Out of Place)
Attended Evening Program which included Transparency Tools by Paxus, a discussion lead by Alyson Ewald (https://www.facebook.com/alyson.ewald?fref=ts) of the challenges and triumphs of building community, and storyteller Robert Zachary's telling of his experience with community growing up in the South under Jim Crow to his present exploration of intentional communities and sustainable living
Learned Icebreakers/games to get groups of strangers to build relationships and create intimacy
Gave an introduction to all attendees about The Transition: who we are,what we do, and what our end vision is (and got a lot of “Oh you are The Transition girl”throughout the whole conference).
Talked with various community representatives about our group
Donated 3 items to FIC Benefit Auction raising a total of $22 for the FIC and bid on items as well. The following items were won:
- 6 back copies of Communities Magazine with topics covering:
*Making a Living
* Decision Making in Community
*Communication & Process
*The Heart of Sustainability
* Can We Afford to Live in Community?
Purchased from FIC pop up bookstore book title: The Great Neighborhood Book- A Do-It Yourself Guide to Placemaking ( a fantastic book with lots of resources and ideas that will be utilized on the website)
Was a co-speaker at an Open Session (workshops presented by attendees) on the topic of Urban Intentional Communities and Creating Better Communication Between Intentional Communities and Co-op Businesses in order to create bigger impacts on a brighter future for the planet. (Lots of attendees stopped me afterwards to talk in more detail and ask questions, one person even referred me to our own Hybrid Group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/224148967647327/ )
Attended Open Session on ICs Working with Colleges and Universities
Attended Acorn Community's "Crops You've Probably Never Seen" Tour
Attended Building Cooperative Power Workshop lead by Michael Johnson
Attended an impromptou workshop (due to a cancelation of another speaker) on Community Business how to start them, which ones are successful etc. lead by Laird Schaub
Attended Starting a Cooperative Business: Worker Co-ops and Intentional Communities lead by Jim Johnson
Attended consultation session with Hawina Falcon (https://www.facebook.com/hawina.falcon?fref=ts) on Sociocracy and Membership Procedures
Acquired multiple takeaways such as detailed sheets about workshop material, flyers, brochures etc. of various communities, organizations.
* How to Build Community,Syracuse Cultural Workers- Card
* Weareoneworldfoundation.org -Awareness Cards
* Twin Oaks Hammocks Rope Hammock Catalog 2013 & 2014
* Recipes: Spicy Fried Tofu, Tofu Egg Salad, Creamy Tofu Horseradish Dressing, Creamy Garlic Dressing or Dip- Recipe Cards
* Finger Books-
-With Open Hands: A Handbook on Open Relationships
-Transparency Tools & Transparency Groups
- Shared Path Shared Goal: Direct Democracy & Consensus Decision Process
* Catalyst Eco Village-Flier
*Building Co-Operative Power- Postcard
*Granite Springs Farm Community-Brochure
* Oran Mor- Brochure
* Network for New Culture- Fliers
* Allegheny Crest Intentional Village- Flier
*Goddard College- Brochure
* Connection Exercises- Packet
*European Commune Tour- Report/Analysis
*Resources for Worker Co-ops & Start-Ups- Sheet
* What is a Worker Cooperative?- Sheet
*Twin Oaks Community Conference Evaluation-Sheet
* The Oracle Institute-Flier
*Shopper's Value Foods-Flier
* Southern Exposure Seed Exchange- Catalog
* Fifth Estate- Magazine
* Mother Earth Living-Magazine
Attended Open Session on Creating a Networking Website Platform to create better streams of communication among ICs and a Youtube "TV" show (person who suggested topic had no idea these are the main projects The Transition is working on and was delighted to hear of our work and progress, we get great feedback during this session.
Stayed at Twin Oaks Community for additional days and experienced communal living.
Helped with Data Entry,E-mail Correspondance and Sales Representatives Box Assembly of samples and company literature for Twin Oaks Hammocks
Aquired book Living the Dream about Twin Oaks
Have contacted and will follow-up with other speaker's whose workshops I did not attend so I can get information and handouts on their topics that were presented
15 personal contacts made (including notables and key influencers in this field- I will be following up with all of them via e-mail, phone and Skype chats in the coming weeks)
1 attendee was a pre-existing Hybrid member!
Posted on Twin Oaks Community Conference an invite to this page as well as the link to the survey to help build the website.
As always if you have any questions about anything feel free to contact me . :)
Who do you know that supports our mission? Recommend our site & help us reach our goals even faster!
Begin to Speak Up, Spread The Word & Connect With People
Now that you have been educating yourself about what is going on in the world via our Movie Vault and other information on the site, start speaking up to others about it. While it may seem taboo to bring up certain subjects, you will be surprised to see how many people are feeling a lot of this stuff behind the scenes in their own private lives. Share information you like from the site, as this is how we will get more people educating themselves and thinking about things. You can share our website, and documentaries to get the ball rolling or maybe even host an event or movie screening! Get creative with it. Use photos on Facebook, put posters in your community or go big and pull off a community event like free hugs in a public area. These actions turn heads and get people asking what it’s all about. A great way to spread the word. Connect with others in your community. By starting a Meetup group or connecting with others in your area on a regular basis, people can begin to unite their ideas and see how they can assist each other to begin moving forward. You will be very surprised to find out how we are all a key piece of the puzzle in any given group. Together we can achieve big things. If you are having difficulty thinking of people to talk to about The Transition use our Memory Jogger page to think of names of people you may know.
The issue we face now in our early stages is that we must create a large following of Contributors for ICs and community experts to take us seriously and want to dedicate the time it takes to pass on their sage advice and experience. So, we need all of you to help get as many people as possible involved! We do have some ICs currently working with us, but again until we gain ourselves more clout we are not their top priority at the moment.
Bonus Tip: You can help us raise funding for our various programs and activities without spending anything extra. Visit Amazon by clicking the button below and a portion of your purchases will go to The Transition!Start recruiting
If none of the below items apply to you just fill out the information in the fields below.
- Have questions about our website, organization or other things related to The Transition? Check out our FAQ section of our website.
- Want to give us a Progress Report on one of the Events you've put on? Give us the details in our Report Portal.
- Would you like to ask us for funding for your project? Please fill out this form with your request!
- Would you like your Intentional Community listed in our directory? Go here to find out how!
- Would you like your Co-op listed in our directory? Go here to find out how!
- Do you have a complaint about one of The Transition's communities, businesses, or co-ops? Please provide thorough information in the box below.
- Are you a Contributor of The Transition and would like your business to be listed in the Contributor Businesses section of our store? Please fill out this form with all of your info.
- Would you like to submit information for ImagiNATION CO-OPeration? Gives us all the juicy details down below!
- Would you like to submit a music video for our Jukebox? Please be sure to provide the link to the video as well as a link to the lyrics for the song when submitting in the box below.
- Would you like to host a movie screening in your local area? Please submit it on our Events page.
- Do you love to research advancements and new technology? Send us the links of your discoveries so we can share them with others.
- Got an internet meme you can't resist sharing? Send us the link and we might add it to our favorite internet memes portal!
- Want to learn more about The Transition before you get involved? Browse our Transition FAQ for more info!
- Do you have a business that would appeal to our members, that has 500 employees or more? Go here to find out how you can be a featured business.
For the following categories:
- Did you find some typos, broken links or videos that don't work?
- Do you have a project idea you think we should work on?
- Did you find an awesome tool that you want to share that would help make collaboration even easier?
- Do you think our Standards are missing something?
Please submit to our Suggestion Box.Submit