You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
The Transition is an online social change community focused on starting on a local scale, but acting with the intention of global change to bridge the gap between our present times and a Global Egalitarian System. Some examples of similar holistic concepts or ideas that might be more familiar to you are:
- Economic Singularity
- Resource Based Economy (RBE)
- Gifting Economy
- Ubuntu Contributionism
Together we are creating a database and worldwide movement based on a set of practical values to give people a better understanding of the interconnection and impact we have with one another as well as the environment. We are a social change network of conscious individuals willing to not only change the world, but change themselves to create a brighter future for everyone! We believe that we can make the transition to a more sustainable and resilient world. We hope that you will join us.
We're on a Mission to make a better world:
The time has come for those of us who identify as:
-Social Change Leaders
to join hearts and minds into a diverse but united movement. The Transition is not a revolution, it is an evolution. We work towards discovering the root causes of the major issues we face today and propose alternatives for them. The Transition seeks to unite people who are willing to take action towards enhancing and protecting all life and our environment for future generations. Our purpose is to construct real solutions by providing the support space and resources our website users need to be more effective in the work they do via our online and offline community’s collective knowledge and common heritage of the Earth’s resources.We are collectively working for fundamental change of the political and economic institutions of society to achieve a just, and humane world. By doing so we improve the quality of life for all, not just a select few. We recognize that our current social design contributes to the unnecessary human suffering many experience in their daily lives, meanwhile we have the technical ability and resources that can help us surpass our present conditions, if we unify and work together. Our intention is to bring together those who follow a compass set with the same values so we can reach our mutual goals faster. Will you be a part of the change you wish to see in the world?
You should join The Transition if:
- You believe housing is a human right, and want to acquire safe and reliable housing for yourself and those you care about.
- You believe that everyone needs a basic education on how to survive sustainably, and seek out information to make yourself more resilient to our ever changing times.
- You believe that planned obsolescence is a practice that wastes our finite resources, and are deeply concerned with the impact consumerism has on your personal life and the world at large.
- You are interested in experimental models of living and working together like Co-Housing, Eco-Villages, Co-ops, Communes, & Intentional Communities, and would like to learn “what not to do” as much as you would like to learn about the basic principles of starting such projects.
- Your intentional community you belong to is looking for ways to find community members with more aligned values and vision to join your community.
- You live in an intentional community, work in a co-op or once did and want to share your experiences with other people interested in doing the same.
- You know poverty is a man-made social construct, and are no longer interested in participating in the “rat race”.
- You study ideas & concepts regarding sustainability, permaculture, ecology, & aquaponics, because you know these are life skills that will help you thrive in the future.
- You believe that alternative technologies are withheld due to corporate greed, and have a mindset that sharing can help us better our life circumstances as a species.
- You are in need of individuals with skill-sets you yourself do not posses to help your current project succeed.
- You would like to have a lifestyle NOT focused on the acquisition of money and would like to support yourself in such a way that you can than focus on what you are most passionate about.
- You believe cooperation is far more powerful than competition.
- You are looking to design your life in a way that makes you feel fulfilled, nourished and cared for.
- You want to leave the planet better than you found it.
- You don't just talk about problems, you are a person who comes up with solutions to them and DOES something about it by using methods of Direct Action!
Lastly, you should join us if you are looking for other people to work and grow with in a long-term and committed effort to change the world we live in-for the better.
If this sounds like you
Help us create the world's largest database of assets and resources owned and cultivated by social change makers from all over the world. When you join The Transition and become active and engaged with our online and offline community those are made available to you as well, by taking part in our global family.
We know that when you can connect and share assets, people and ideas, everything changes. The more registered users we enroll on the site the more assets and resources we have communally available to all who are part of our mutual aid network. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Free WiFi
- Spaces to assemble
- Work space for projects
- Household goods
- Funding to support projects or get new ones off the ground
Our organization and website are co-created meaning that every registered user is part of this transitional process by relaying their newly acquired resources and findings from their social change work made "in the trenches" we are strengthened and can eliminate pitfalls other activists and organizers made before the dawn of the internet.
What people are saying about The Transition:
"This is truly a grand scale design. Connecting the multitude of like-minded groups and individuals onto one path to achieve similar but diverse variations of the same goal."
"...this platform is exceptional"
~ Lee Knott
"If anyone wishes to make changes to our current social systems, e.g. medical, economical, college, please check out The Transition...Whether you're looking to start up your own changes, contribute to others, or share & discover where you'd fit in, the level of support is amazing. They've got a step-by-step plan laid out for anyone to follow to reach their goals; I delayed way too long, but finally made a strong start to mine today and feel GREAT about it!"
"Cooperation and learning are an integral part of what it means to be human. The community environment The Transition provides has been designed to nurture and support the experience and evolution of this understanding. With The Transition people pursue life and learning at their own pace and according to their own interests, passions, and preferences. It is here [where they] provide helpful insights in looking at experimental social change models,alternatives to competition, freeing up energy for social change involvements, working to eliminate [individuals] own internalized "in-humanism" (racism, sexism, class-ism, etc.) and look toward the building of new organizational forms for the developing nonviolent movement for fundamental social change world-wide. Be forewarned that you will be exposed to ideas that will change the way you think about how you make decisions. Once you've been exposed to these ideas contained [on] the site, you will not be able to return to your previous understanding of decision-making."
"It's so easy and it's so seamless, but everyone wants to act like they have it all figured out, like it's their way or no way. If we all work together we can achieve more. We all have our piece to the puzzle we need to contribute and it starts here."
“I support The Transition as it is the most structurally sound road map I have been presented with and the resources are seemingly endless. Special thanks to the team for putting this resource together for us. ”
"We need a project like this so badly I couldn't fathom not signing up immediately. I think the only way someone like myself will be able to respect my life on earth is to be a part of some sort of solution to societies lost morals and pollution. I support The Transition because I need to find more people that are more interested in solving our problems than being entertained or pacified with apathy. Maybe I'm cocky to believe it can be done at all, but I think we owe it to the future to at least give it our all. I believe I have a role to fill, and I've felt this since birth. It has to do with being an agent of change and spreading love and awareness. This is an amazing opportunity for people that care about living with integrity and honoring the beauty of life."
Recommended Reading: Metta Center: What is a Road-map